Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

that fine line...

you know the one... it falls between childhood and the responsibility filled adult world. it brings the angst and awkwardness that can make a teenager feel uncomfortable in their own skin. i remember those teenage years quite vividly. they were not attractive years for me, on many levels. tonight i danced with my 15 year old son, standing on his toes while we hummed a goofy tune. at one point he started to lean into me and sniffed me. oddly enough it reminded me of the bear in the big blue house. before i could ask why in the world he was sniffing me, he said "you smell like mom". i asked him what "mom" smells like. without hesitation, his reply was "safety". that fine line is magical, allowing teenagers to hold on to pieces of childhood and the result is something simple and lovely.

2 comments: